VERBAL ABUSE, PHYSICAL ABUSE, EMOTIONAL ABUSE, WEIGHT TALK, DIET TALK
For about a week in 2011, every time I stepped into the shower, I would remember my dad telling my mom that she was “A big, fat, worthless piece of shit.” I can still hear the contempt and rage in his voice, and while I didn’t realize it at the time, I can imagine she got hit right after that.
You can probably guess considering that experience the kind of attitude I have about my own body.
I started college in the fall, and in November I started to gain some of my “freshman fifteen.” In December, when a guy I had been seeing for about a month told me he didn’t want to see me anymore, I started to convince myself it was because I was too fat and out of shape. I was skinny when he met me in October, but now I’m not. I look in the mirror, and I look at what I see on the scale, and I know rationally that it isn’t about my weight, but I can’t seem to stop obsessing.
I came back this semester, started eating healthier and exercising, but the weight still hasn’t come off. So, inspired by this post, (which I highly recommend reading), I wanted to share the list of all of the other things I’ve gained (in addition to weight) since starting college:
- 80 new sorority sisters
- More confidence in my abilities
- A better appreciation for my own strengths
- A new church that I love and has a great community
- More of an understanding of people, both their shortcomings and their strengths
- A more grateful attitude about many things in my life
- A better relationship with my dad that I really ever expected was possible
- More opportunities for helping other people
- A city that I love
- Another purpose to my life
- Lessons in being casual and relaxed
- More free time
- A lot more fun and a lot of great memories
I’ve made an appointment at the counseling center to start to work through these new body image issues. There is so much more to me than my weight, and I’m excited to begin to see that more deeply through this journey
BE BRAVE! JOIN THE BODY PEACE REVOLUTION!